Ask a seasoned USAGSO-North Atlantic volunteer about the “ALC,” a likely response will involve stories of lessons learned, connections made and strong enrichment to their Girl Scout experience. This year’s Adult Learning Conference offers all of that and more. Taking place at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort on 3-5 May 2013, the ALC will showcase innovative new programs from Girl Scouts of the USA, personal and professional development courses as well as traditional Girl Scout offerings. There is something for every level of Girl Scout volunteer. Anyone can tell you that networking and learning from others is the best part of ALC. So it only makes sense that our theme this year is “Making Connections.” Come to ALC this year make those connections – you will be glad you did!
See the links to the right to find the course descriptions, price breakdown and more.
- Conference Check-in: Friday 3 May 2013; 15:00-17:30
- Conference Ends: Sunday 5 May 2013; 12:00
Prices vary depending on level of participation (ie: Saturday Only or the Full Conference, etc.) The USAGSO-North Atlantic ALC Conference fee must be paid at the completion of the online registration form. For prices, see the Adult Learning Conference Price Breakdown.
(Click on green button above to register)
- Registration opens 15 February 2013 with early bird prices. Prices increase 15 March 2013.
- Registration deadline is 3 April 2013.
- Grant request deadline is 3 April 2013.
Registration for the event is separate from room reservations. For room reservations, see LODGING below.
All lodging accommodations are made with Edelweiss by the participant using the ALC group code (1305GIRLSC) for special pricing. If staying at Edelweiss, this fee covers meals and breaks beginning with dinner Friday evening ending with breakfast Sunday morning as well as the Edelweiss facility fee. If requesting a double, triple or quad room when reserving room with Edelweiss please have the name of the roommate(s) available. The roommate(s) should reserve the room at the same time if at all possible. If arriving early or leaving late, prices vary for non-conference days. If not staying at Edelweiss, a facility charge and meal costs are charged by Edelweiss. See the Adult Learning Conference Price Breakdown. See the Adult Learning Conference Price Breakdown. Conference room prices below are per person, per night Friday and Saturday. If lodging at Edelweiss and involved in the conference, reservations MUST be made through the process below (including the group number). It is not allowed to stay at Edelweiss and attend the conference without registering under this package.
Edelweiss Conference Room Rates (per person, per night):
- Single: $170
- Double: $113
- Triple: $98
- Quad: $89.50
RESERVING ROOMS AT EDELWEISS
Email Reservations at email@example.com with the following information:
- Conference code: 1305GIRLSC
- Full name
- Arrival Date
- Departure Date
- Credit card number and name on card
- Roommate(s) names(s) (Roommate must register separately unless paying for all roommates at one time)
*Reservations are also accepted by phone at DSN: 440-2575 or Commercial: 08821-9440 (country code 49)
If a participant does not have a military ID, please be ready to supply passport information on ALC registration form. This is required in order to allow access to the conference, which is on a military base.
SATURDAY EVENING BANQUET & ADULT AWARD CEREMONY
Saturday evening join us for an evening of food, fellowship and festivity. Adults that have exemplified the volunteer spirit, nominated by peers in their community, will be honored with special Girl Scout National Awards. We will also be joined by our distinguished keynote speaker, Col. Mary N. Boucher. Col. Boucher is commander of the 421st Air Base Group, RAF Menwith Hill as well as a Girl Scout mom! Do not miss this evening of celebration. See more about Col. Boucher here.
Back by continued popular demand is the Silent Auction. The goal for this year is to raise $8000 for adult and girl grant scholarships and camperships. Bring something of value for the auction that represents your Overseas Committee! See specifics here. Contact Taryn Rimland at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
USAGSO-NA grant applications are due by 3 April 2013.
- To apply for grants, the participant must first register for the conference and pay the conference fee.
- If grant monies are awarded, they are reimbursed after the event. Therefore full registration fees must be paid by the registration deadline.
- USAGSO-NA participants are eligible for grant monies for one event per year based on availability of funds and a formula approved by the board.
- The registration fee is not eligible for reimbursement per the board approved guidelines.
- Double room accommodation rates are eligible for grant reimbursement.
- Please be sure to review the grant guidelines, eligibilities and procedures closely before submitting the form (the first page of the form has this information).
- Incomplete grant applications will not be considered.
- Grant money is available only to volunteers that have completed all three required volunteer orientation trainings. All required courses are all available online and accessible under “Required Orientation” here.
- All of this information is available on the first page of the Adult Grant Guidelines & Form. This is the form to be downloaded and competed.
- Submit the completed grant applications to email@example.com.
USAGSO-New York Served participants can request grant funding by emailing Laura Thielges at firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business 11 March 2013. Email should include name, Overseas Committee name (city/country), name/date/location of any other USAGSO conference attended 2010-present, and total amount of grant requested. USAGSO-NY Served participants will be notified of grant amount by 13 March 2013.
GIRL SCOUT SHOP
We have an exciting option for ALC participants! While there will not be a shop at ALC this year, there is the option of ordering any merchandise from the Girl Scout Shop in Italy and it will be delivered at Edelweiss during the conference. In order to take advantage of this option, orders must be received by the shop no later than 29 April 2013. Customers must click on the “pick up in store option” so as not to be charged a shipping fee. In the customer comment box please write: for ALC. Shop the Girl Scout Shop now!
REFUNDS & CANCELLATIONS
Requests for refunds for the ALC conference fee will be accepted until April 3, 2013. Requests for refunds must be submitted in writing and are only authorized in the event of permanent change of station, deployment or medical emergency. Refunds require proper documentation (orders, letter from commanders verifying deployment or physician’s letter). Conference attendees meeting these requirements will be refunded all conference fees minus the $50.00 non-refundable processing fee.
Americans Working Around the Globe (AWAG) Conference 2013
AWAG seeks to accomplish its mission through leadership development training, promoting volunteerism, and fostering relationships between American community members and their communities. A four-day working conference is coordinated each spring by the Board of Governors. Seminars are conducted by a wide range of professionals from throughout the military and civilian community. The goal of the conference is to provide professional and meaningful leadership training for volunteers from individual organizations and clubs. The conference this year is directly after the ALC. We encourage all of those interested to attend. See link above for more information.
Q. Is there an older girl component to ALC? What about child care?
A. There is not a program for older girls at the Adult Learning Conference. However, registration is open to all Girl Scout adults and Girl Scout Ambassadors. In an effort to encourage Girl Scout Ambassadors to bridge to Adult Girl Scouts, they are welcome to attend the programs as if they are adult members. Limited child care is available through the Garmisch CYS program (for 0-4 year olds) and Edelweiss (for 5-12 year olds). These services must be requested in advance.
CHILDREN 0-4 YEARS OLD:
- This service will ONLY be offered with a minimum of 10 registrants. Under 10 will result in CYS not being able to provide this service.
- Full Day: 0830-1630, including lunch – $48 per day
- Evening: 0-4 Childcare will not be available in the evenings or on Sunday. If childcare is needed at this time, contact Angela Miller at email@example.com for a list of CYS trained babysitters. Cost for 0-4 childcare must be paid and completion of permission paperwork must be completed 2 weeks in advance of event.
CHILDREN 5-12 YEARS OLD:
- Full Day: 08:30-16:30, including lunch – $40 per day
- Evening Only: 18:00-21:30 (must be fed prior to arrival) – $25 per evening
Q. Is there an additional fee for participants from USAGSO-New York Served areas? Why?
A. Yes and that is a very good question. USAGSO-North Atlantic largely serves the European and North African military communities and is partially funded and logistically supported by the Department of Defense. Those Girl Scouts in USAGSO-NA that are not affiliated with the military pay an additional amount yearly for the services received from the NA office. The additional fee for a participant from a USAGSO-New York Served area helps to offset that fee for the support and logistics offered through the DoD. The additional fee for non-USAGSO-NA affiliated participants for this conference is $50.
Q. What should I wear during this conference?
A. The Girl Scout uniform, business casual attire and clothes appropriate for your particular workshops are recommended. You are also invited to wear other Girl Scout apparel available through the shop here.
More details to come regarding Keynote Speaker and more. Stay tuned to the website and as always, please email Angela Miller with any questions you might have at firstname.lastname@example.org.